Translate

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

June 11, 2014: A Beer Garden and an Observatory

Hannover, Germany:
June 11, 2014

10: It will be the little things, not the big things, that make you realize you are not at home.
11: You never know when that random word/phrase in that one language might come in handy. 
12: Americans: if a European tells you something is within walking distance, don't be surprised if it’s really not walking distance.  Europeans, if an American tells you something is not within walking distance, they may be, subconsciously, lying to you.  You’re better off consulting a map.

            At home, you take these things for granted; abroad, or away from home at all, they make you realize that you aren’t at home.  This is actually an anecdote from last week, but I forgot to include it in my post.  So, I will include it now.
            I was watching a presentation at the AEI (Albert Einstein Institute).  When the presentation was over, I picked up my hands to clap.  I completed one clap before I realized that no one else was clapping.  Instead, they were all using a fist to knock on the desks.  Strange, right?  Well, it wasn’t strange to them.  In fact, it was quite normal.  I guess I wasn’t in Pittsburgh, anymore.
            It turns out that the knocking only happens at the AEI, it’s not a German thing.  But, still, it was enough to make me think about differences between cultures.  When you travel, take notice of these little things.  It can be just as interesting as the major differences, and often, it’s a little more shocking than the big differences.  After all, you expect the big differences; it’s the little ones that get you.

*          *          *

            You know those little words that you learned during school in a different language: the ones you always laughed about, knowing full-well that they would never come in handy?  Well, one day, they might come in handy, if only in a small way.
            This one's to you, Maggie Hess, you who taught me how to say, "I'm a jelly doughnut," in German (Ich bin ein
Berliner, by the way).  For those of you who know even a tiny bit of German, or a bit of history in the case of JFK, you also know that this phrase means, “I’m a Berliner,” as in, “I’m from Berlin,” in a figurative way.  Well, this was the interesting coincidence that led me to finally being able to use my knowledge of the northern-German word for jelly doughnut.

            We were sitting at a beer garden during a social event, and someone asked another person at my table about the term for people from Hannover (I don’t know how to pronounce or spell his answer (my German pronunciations are terrible, and my spelling is even worse).  But, he did say that he thought it was an ugly-sounding word, and that the word “Berliner” was much better.  Then, he began to laugh and said that the word has a double-meaning in German.  “It means a person from Berlin and a baker, no, a pastry.” 

            “a sweet of some sort,” someone else chimed in.

            It was then that I spied my opportunity to make use of my knowledge.  “It’s a doughnut!,” I exclaimed, and the Germans at the table agreed.

             “Yes, that is it.”

            So, like I said, it was limited usefulness, but usefulness none the less.  That seemingly-random phrase finally had a purpose in my life.  Thank you, Maggie.

 

*          *          *

            "Walking distance" refers to a different distance depending on where you live. If you live in America, for example, a five-minute walk might be pushing it. If you live in Europe, your daily commute is entirely possibly a 15-minute walk. (And no one, unless that person is an American living in America, will pitty you if you complain about it, so don't even bother (trust me, I have not bothered; as a matter of fact, no part of me minds the commute. I'm definitely European when it comes to walking... and air conditioning, but I'll get there later)).  Europeans also like bikes. It makes me long to live somewhere more bike friendly.
            Anyway, mini rant about my frustrations with the American people over (and I honestly mean no one offense, to each his or her own, but the average American walking distance is significantly shorter than the average European walking distance).  Now, on to my little story:

            Currently, I’m partaking in a three-day training conference for the LTPDA language on Matlab (it’s a 3rd-party language that will be used to perform data analysis on the LISA Pathfinder).  Last night, after the conference, there was a dinner at a beer garden in the area.  Early in the conference, the organizer announced that, according to MapQuest, it would be a 45-minute walk (one could also take the tram system and cut the commute to 20 minutes and minimal walking).  To a significant majority of Americans, this would mean they were taking the tram.  Period.  And then they would complain about the 2-min uphill walk at the very end.  To the conference organizer, and a surprising number of Europeans, this meant that MapQuest was probably lying; it would probably be about a 30-40-min walk; and that sounded like a very reasonable distance.  After the conference, we met outside, and roughly half of the participants (and virtually all of the participants under 30 years of age) walked to the beer garden.  Easy Peasy.

 


            Now, I believe that I promised you a mention of air conditioning.  At the beer garden, this came up in conversation.  They were all very impressed when I informed them that air conditioning isn’t something we use very much at my house, and that my apartment at college doesn’t even have it.  We also don’t use a lot of heat in the winter (that, I will admit, I hate), and my apartment at college has a hole in the wall through which much cold air enters during the winter months.  But, I’m all for minimal use of air conditioning.  I enjoy the heat.


             After we went to the beer garden yesterday, we went to see the nearby public observatory.  I don't really have any stories from that, but I do have two pictures (also, I PROMISE that I will start taking more pictures).  We were unable to stargaze because it was a very cloudy night.
That's the city of Hannover.

This is one of the telescopes at the observatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment